It was the first working day of the Budgeted session that eroded with the aggression pumped out from HRD minister Smriti Irani and Mayawati accusations that made a story on Twitter as well. As the house could not make any contingent results due to the uproar created by BSP members it was a day of accusations in the Sabha. The suicide of Dalit student Rohit Vemula was one point that was creating that bizarre of the chaos in the Rajya sabha. The recent row in JNU was also blazing in the parliament.
Blended with emotions and aggression that pointed a gun on several opposition leaders, it was a turbulent affair in the Parliament on Wednesday. She tried to defend the government against an opposition onslaught and her own handling of the situation in campuses across the country.
Here are some of the highlights of her speech in Lok Sabha
- No attempt was made to take Rohith Vemula to doctor, his body was used as political tool.
- In his statement, Rohith Vemula said no one was responsible for his death.
- Have you ever seen Rahul Gandhi go to one spot twice? No, he saw a political opportunity here [Rohith Vemula’s suicide].
- If I mention Chanakya, they will say it is ‘saffron’. Hence I quoted a Roman philosopher in my speech.
- I have said it time and again that‘Shiksha ko ranbhoomi mat banao. (Don’t turn education into a battleground).
- I am not certifying your idea of India. But do not demean mine.
- There still are many VCs appointed by UPA,I challenge that even if one of them says I do saffronization I will leave politics.
- “Meri naam Smriti Irani hain. Meri jaati kya hain bataon.(My name is Smriti Irani. I challegnge you to tell my caste.)
- People who espouse the cause of free speech and attack this government, who say we are anti-minority, anti-Dalit, anti-tribal and time and again, they’ve been requested to not make it ‘us against them’. I am not certifying your patriotism, but do not demean mine.
Watch her complete speech here: